Great Website Tips
Need some website tips? At Courtland Consulting, we leverage our intimate knowledge of the latest technologies, along with current design trends, to keep your small business at the forefront of web design techniques and trends. Courtland works closely with our customers to design websites that are easy to find in search engines, simple to use, and pleasing to the eye.
How can I set my website apart from my competition?
In the online marketplace, your competition is not local; it is global. In order to succeed in the virtual world, you must offer something of value to potential clients to set yourself apart from the competition.
- Know your competition. Learn who your top competitors are, what they do well and what market niches they haven’t taken advantage of.
- Understand your customers. The Internet allows customers to easily research and understand any topic with just a few button clicks. Giving customers the information they need in an informative, easy to digest format is crucial to website success.
- Define your vision. Having an understanding of where you have been and where you are going with your website is as important as the design. Setting goals for website viewers and content will allow your business to excel.
How can I make a positive, lasting website impression that resonates with customers?
Once a potential client clicks on your website, you have less than 20 seconds to wow them before they move on to your competition. Establishing a design that is easy to use and pleasing to the eye helps convince potential clients that your business is what they’re looking for.
- Pick a design that matches your industry. The look and feel of your site should match the impression that you are trying to convey. Fun colors and lots of animation might be appropriate for a toy company, while cool tones and classic fonts work better for a law firm.
- Design clear and consistent navigation. Potential clients need to quickly locate the information they are looking for. Information that is easy to find keeps a user engaged in your content, not frustrated with your design.
- Avoid clutter and distraction. Users need to be able to read the content of your website without the interruption of distracting advertisements or loud graphics.
How can I write effective content for my website?
In the end, it’s all about content. A simple web design with great content will attract many more visitors than a fancy layout with little to offer.
- Write for the web. Unlike a newspaper, where readers read entire articles, web readers jump around a site. Courtland can help organize and edit your content so the most important information stands out and is easy to skim.
- Courtland provides copy editing assistance for search engine optimization for your website. In addition, Courtland has SEO packages that helps your website become more findable.
- Use effective whitespace and keep to the K.I.S. (Keep It Simple) concept. Long paragraphs of text are difficult to read and interpret on a computer screen. Breaking text into chunks makes content flow for readers and gives a general sense of neatness to a site. Courtland provides copy writing services that can assist you in writing content from scratch, editing your current content, and/or review your company’s marketing material for the best fit for the web.
- Use images where helpful. Images can convey an idea more effectively than words, and highlight key points for your readers. Courtland provides custom graphic design services to accelerate your company’s current brand and complement your web marketing strategies.
Contact us at (517) 908-3951 for more great web design tips and to learn how we can help your small business website succeed!